Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thoughts on Mexican Americans rooting for Mexico?

Okay so its been a few days after the game and instead of reading reviews on the game, theres nothing but hate filled articles aimed towards the fact that there were a lot more Mexican supporters than US ones. I went to the game, I was rooting for Mexico, and I was born here. I love America. I would fight and die for her, but all the hate aimed towards my own ancestors kind of makes me feel frustrated with being American. I mean, at least I have a reason to root for Mexico in soccer, but what about all the immigrants from Europe and Asia that were rooting against the US? Why no hate towards them? What about the countless white people I saw at the game wearing a Mexico shirt? Is it just racism/resentment for the loss the reason for the hate? Or do they believe the papers when they read that all the Mexicans boo'd the anthem? I was there, and let me make it clear that the grand majority did not boo. Only the idiot cholos and drunks did. Why do some see it as an obligation to root for the US no matter if I learned how to love soccer from my Mexican roots? I pay taxes, I vote, I help my community, I would fight and die for this country. Doesn't that give me the right to root for who I want? please, if it seems like its just hate/resentment/racism and I'm letting it get to me, please let me know. what are your opinions on this? please no racist comments, they will be removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment